This page has links to news about the Android platform
- 1 Android News Portals
- 2 Interviews
- 3 Industry/Consortium news
- 4 Software
- 5 Features
- 6 Phone news
- 7 Netbooks and MIDs
Android News Portals
- Google's Rubin: Android 'a revolution' - CNet News May 2009
"Android, Google's mobile operating system, doesn't generate revenue for the company, and likely never will--at least in the direct sense. But Andy Rubin, Google's director of mobile platforms, thinks Google and the world will benefit from any device created with the intent of getting more people onto the Internet, and isn't shy about explaining why the open-source approach chosen for Android holds the most promise of reaching that goal."
Mentor Graphics acquires Embedded Alley
Mentor Graphics, a large EDA firm, acquires the embedded Linux consulting company Embedded Alley, in July, 2009.
The Open Embedded Software Foundation (OESF) is an Android Consortium formed in Japan in February, 2009. It included 23 companies at startup, and has the support of Google.
- Android SDK version 3.0 (Honeycomb)
- Android SDK version 2.3.3
- Android SDK version 2.3 (Gingerbread)
Android SDK version 2.2 (Froyo)
Android SDK version 2.1 (Eclair 2.1) released (Jan 12, 2010)
Android version 1.6 (Donut) released (version 4 released December 2009)
Android version 1.5 (Cupcake) released (April 2009)
- Android 1.5 'Cupcake' starts arriving on G1s ComputerWorld, April 30, 2009
- Android 1.5 firmware
available LWN.net, April 27,
- HTC (the manufacturer of the Android Dev Phone) has posted a set of Android 1.5 images for the ADP1. There's also reasonably straightforward instructions on flashing those images into a phone
- Android ported to
Linuxdevices, April 2009
- Embedded Alley has ported Android to the Alchemy MIPS processor.
- Android ported to various ARM processors (ARM9, ARM11 and Cortex-A8 based). Including e.g. OSK board, Nokia N800, Nokia N810, BeagleBoard, Devkit8000 and Gumstix Overo board.
- Devkit7000 Samsung S5PV210 based board.
- Devkit8500D TI DM3730 based board.
- WLAN and Bluetooth demo on DM3730 running Android featured on You Tube
- Android demo on DM3730 featured on You Tube
- Android Demo on Mistral's TMDSEVM3530 featured on You Tube
- Android Demo on Mistral's TMDXEVM3503 featured on You Tube
- SenseUI (HTC)
- MotoBlur (Motorola)
- TouchWiz (Samsung)
- Rachael (Sony Ericsson)
- Google Maps (with turn-by-turn navigation)
- Google Goggles - search by image from camera
- Hands off with Google Goggles
- DoCoMo Augmented Reality Concept running on Android : http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-18527-DoCoMo+Augmented+Reality+Concept+at+Wireless+Japan+09.html
- Samsung phone
- Samsung's Android phone to launch in Germany Linuxdevices, April 2009
- T-mobile ships more than 1 million G1 phones
- T-Mobile sells a million Android phones Linuxdevices, April 2009
Netbooks and MIDs
- ARM-based MIDs run Android, report says Linuxdevices, April 27, 2009
- First Android netbooks
Linuxdevices, April 2009
- ARM-based netbook by Skytone announced.